Deeply rooted in the North Shore, the Marblehead/Swampscott YMCA opened its doors to members in 1859. In 1888 it moved to the newly purchased King Hooper Mansion and in 1910 the YMCA moved to Pleasant Street where it became a full facility YMCA featuring a 20-yard pool, air-conditioned Wellness Center, quaint gymnasium and youth and adult locker rooms.
In 2003, the YMCA secured 19.5 acres of land on Leggs Hill Road to build a state-of-the-art facility. More than $14 million was raised over the course of six years. The building opened to the public on December 13th, 2008 and was formally dedicated as the Carolyn and Peter Lynch/Rose-Marie and Eyk van Otterloo YMCA on January 10, 2009.
The facility features
- Eight lane 25-yard swimming pool
- Warm water pool with slide
- Outdoor pool with water fountains
- A state-of-the-art fitness center with cardio and strength training equipment
- Over 100 free group exercise classes
- Free baby-sitting for family memberships
- 4 squash courts
- Rock climbing tower
- Gymnastics Center
- Youth/Teen Center
- Early Learning Center
- After School Program
- State-of-the-art Gymnasium
The new facility, with four state-of-the art ballet studios, is home to Boston Ballet School’s north shore location, under the leadership of Principal Evelyn Cisneros-Legate. This facility also has a location for Spaulding Rehabilitation services.